Monday 20 October 2014

MIND YOUR ASSOCIATION – 2

October 20, 2014


It is impossible to live a life that is unaffected by other people. One way or the other, the attitudes and opinions of our friends somehow blow into our lives, shaping our perspective and influencing our decisions. Some few years ago, one of my friends told me that smoking marijuana would make me smarter, sharper and bolder. As much as I didn’t want to fall for it, I realized most of my friends were doing it, so it became irresistible for me. Thank God for mercy.

It is very wise to mind one’s association because if your friend disrespects her husband, you will most likely do same; if your friend fornicates, it will take extra grace for you not to; if your friend changes figure to make extra money, you will end up learning and doing same. I guess that is why Brother Paul said in 1 Cor 5:11 that, “But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.”

So, am I to dis-friend my bestie because he/she makes me do some terrible stuffs? Well, I think the first thing to do is to limit your exposure to such friend(s). But this person is a good influence in some other areas you might say. Well, you are correct, but you need to establish some parameters. Maybe you need to avoid going for a drink together after work. In some cases, you might need to distance yourself and in terrible cases, you need to flee. Had Joseph not fled from the advances of Potiphar’s wife, he might never have attained that height.

Always remember that if you roll with a thief, the odds are that you will steal as well, because a sheep that is a friend to a local dog will end up eating feces.

Beware!


Follow on twitter @iamhenrylong

No comments:

Post a Comment