Tuesday 13 May 2014

DISCERNING SPIRIT


May 11, 2014


Few years ago, I was introduced to an insurance policy where a certain amount was to be paid every month. After about five months, I felt it strongly in my spirit to withdraw my contribution and stop the policy. I shared this with my friend but he wasn’t convinced. I went ahead and collected all that I had contributed. Unfortunately, when my friend was ready to withdraw his, it was already late as the company had folded up.

It is good to hear people’s opinion, but the best thing is to have a discerning Spirit. A discerning spirit enables you distinguish between good and bad, truth and lie and most importantly understand the will of God. In 1 Kings 13, a man of God was asked to go and deliver a message to King Jeroboam. His order was, “You shall not eat bread, nor drink water, nor return by the same way you came.”

However, in verse 18, another “prophet” came to him and said, “I am a prophet also as thou art; and an angel spake unto me by the word of the LORD, saying, Bring him back with thee into thine house, that he may eat bread and drink water. But he lied unto him.” I am sure the man of God never thought the other prophet could deceive, unfortunately for this man of God, lack of discernment led to his untimely and shameful death (a lion killed him).

A discerning spirit is the greatest protection we have in the world where truth and error are often mixed. The ability to separate them is a gift from God and the good thing is that He has provided everything we need to do so – the Holy Spirit, His Word, and godly teaching. Lies and heresies and deceptions are the hallmark of this present times which has been said by Jesus in Matt 24, as such, it takes a believer with a spirit of discernment to know right from wrong.

In all thy getting, get a discerning Spirit. Stay blessed.

Follow on twitter @Iamhenrylong
BBM: 2ADE79BA

No comments:

Post a Comment